This recipe will please your pup and considering it is so easy to make, you will love making batches of sweet potato dog treats for your dog.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Makes: about 40-60 treats Preheat Oven: 180º C (350º F)
- 2 Sweet potato or one large one
- 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 180º C (350º F)
- Scrub, peel and cut sweet potato and place in pot of water. Heat water and cook sweet potato unit soft. (you can also microwave or bake unit soft)
- Mash sweet potato with masher (microwave/baked: Cut sweet potato in half and scoop out the flesh out into large bowl and mash)
- Add apple sauce, and eggs to sweet potato and mix
- * option take egg shells and pulverize and add to the mix (great calcium source)
- Add whole wheat flour and mix to make a dough
- Place dough out on a well-floured surface and roll the dough evenly to about 1 cm (1/2-inch) thick.
- Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter or cut dough into appropriate sized squares or strips for your pooch.
- Arrange cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 35-45 minutes
- Let cool on rack
- Ask your dog to sit, and give them a tasty sweet potato treat!
For your owners: