The best part about these delicious mini biscotti treats for dogs is there munchy crunchy texture. Perfect in helping to maintain healthy teeth. Originally from Italy, the term “biscotti” means “twice baked” because the treats must be baked twice to make them dry and crunchy. Perfect for dogs who like to munch on a crispy treat. I just love pumpkin season!
This recipe makes a perfect amount to put in a mason jar or pretty bag for a gift to your favorite dog! Pumpkin biscotti treats for dogs are quick and easy to make. The best part, is the dough is easy to cut into pieces after the first bake.
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of fresh puree pumpkin or canned (not pie filling)
- 500 ml (2 cups) whole wheat flour
- a splash of water (no more than 30 ml or 1/8 of a cup)
- 30 ml (1/8 cup) natural honey
- 15 ml (1 tbl.) canola oil
- 1 small egg
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsb.) ground cinnamon
- 1 vanilla pod or (1/2 teaspoon) of natural pure vanilla extract
- pinch baking powder
- pinch baking soda
Pumpkin Biscotti Treats for Dogs
Prep Time: 30 minutes Makes: about 25 treats Preheat Oven: 180º C (350º F)
- Pre-heat oven to 180º C (350º F)
- Grab a large bowl and whisk together the pumpkin, honey, water, oil, egg. (add either scrape vanilla pod or use extract)
- Mix your dry ingredients together and mix into the liquid mixture until well mixed
- Get in your paws in and start kneading the dough until it is well-formed and sticks together.
- Transfer to your lightly floured board and shape and roll into an even shaped log
- Get your baking sheet and line with parchment paper.
- Place log on baking sheet and give a little push to flatten to about 5 cm (2 inches) wide.
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until firm
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 30 minutes or until cool enough to touch
- Take a sharp knife and cut each log crosswise into a little over a centimeter, (1/2 inch)
- Arrange on baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until completely hard.
- Transfer to a rack and let cool completely, then call your dog over for a treat!