So this morning I went out with my peep for my morning walk, and as usual I took my morning pee, however it was pink! I didn’t really notice, and I must admit I have been feeling a little quiet but not feeling poorly. I have been eating and drinking fresh water regularly, plus a couple of low-calorie treats and basically just acting like my wagging self.
However if you saw Trina’s face, you think something major had happened to me. She quickly ended my morning walk and got on her mobile to call my vet for an appointment at once. Next thing I know, I’m being zipped into the back of a car and I went directly to my vet to see what the problem was with my pink pee.
Our vet is really nice and the first thing he did was give me a pat and a treat. Then he asked Trina a few questions:
1. When did you first notice the change in my pee.
During our morning walk or about 2 hours ago.
2. Is Maggie looking like she is in pain when she urinates and is she peeing a lot?
No, signs of pain, (but yes I was peeing a lot, but I usually do.)
3. Drinking more water than usual?
No, the usual amount.
Next he explained:
That there is was no need to panic. Blood in dog urine is a very common problem. However he did say it was very good that she brought me to see him due to its important that i get treated quickly. Otherwise, the problem could spiral out of control and I could possibly die!
There are Five Possible reasons why I have blood in my dog pee…
- Blood in dog’s urine is most commonly caused by urinary track infection
- I could have crystals or stones in my urinary tract. These stones scrape the urethra and cause bleeding.
- I could have swallowed some poison, for example rat poison.
- It might a tumor, which could be cancerous or non-cancerous.
- If I was bitten by a tick, that could also be the cause of urinating blood. A tick bite can cause an infection called babesiosis, which destroys red blood cells.
So what did my vet do to see why I have blood in my dog pee…
- He did some tests to find out what is causing the problem
- He checked to see if I had a fever. Which luckily I did not
- He gave me a physical to see if I was in pain or swollen. (I was a little swollen)
- I got an antibiotic shot
- I was prescribed some Clavaseptin for the infection and Rimadyl for the pain.
- I was also given a really strange device that I am supposed to pee in (good luck with that)
So right now I am waiting on the test, taking my medicine and will see my vet again in 12 days to see if all is well. If they find anything strange in my tests they will give us a call to see if there is anything else that needs to be done. However I did get some good news, I’ve lost a little weight so I am right on track of slimming down for Spring!
Update 15 March, 2013 to date: The medicine helped, all my tests came back clear and I’ve been a healthy and happy beagle ever since!