Duck is a nice and tasty meat that is beneficial to dogs… We love it! It is a wonderfully fatty meat and is a wonderful treat for a special dinner. Living here in the French part of Switzerland, I like to call it Canard a la yam!
So get on your apron and let’s make a home-made dinner special for your dog.
- About 3 lb. of duck (1.3 Kg) of skinless chicken pieces, light, and dark meat.
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) of veggie melee (we used carrot, apple, lettuce)
- 2 cup (500 ml) of Yams or Sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup all natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) rice
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C), lightly oil the roasting pan.
- Roast the duck until (breast, 20-30 minutes, whole duck, 45-60 minutes.)
- Let Cool, remove all bones and dice into pieces. (this will vary on dog size)
- Cook rice according to the package instructions.
- Cook yams and after cooking smash to a mash
- Mix duck, with veggie melee, yams, and rice.
- Dice fresh parsley and add to mix
- After the mixture is cooled garnish with yogurt.
- Duck a la yam will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator, 3 months in a freezer
- you can increase fat by adding some skin from the duck for more active dogs
- As per your vet or package instructions: supplement with calcium or bone meal.
- My Fruit and Veggie Melee (wagthedoguk.com)