Shepherd’s Pie for Dogs
Shepherd’s pie is one of my favorites which I was introduced to when I was living in London. Shepherd’s Pie is an English dish, traditionally made with lamb or mutton and that’s just how we do this recipe for dogs. Americans typically make Shepherd’s Pie with beef. Shepherd’s Pie is essentially a casserole, lined with cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked how tasty is that for dogs?
Here is a basic recipe for an English Shepherd’s Pie. The original recipe comes from my owners grandmother (bless grannie for teaching my owner to cook.)
However, just so you know, for us dogs, we’re likes kids and we want it all mashed up. So the tradition is there, but served up kid style. So let’s make up some shepherd’s pie for us dogs!
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 1 1/2 lbs. (680 kg.) Lamb
- 1 1/2- 2 lbs. (680 g -900 g) potatoes
- 1-2 cups (250 ml-500 ml) melee mix of carrots, celery, apples and peas
- 8 (120 ml) tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Thyme and Rosemary
- 1/2 (125 ml) cup beef stock
- Pre-heat oven to 180º C (350º F)
- Quarter potatoes, boil in water until tender (about 20 minutes).
- While the potatoes are cooking, add canola oil in large frying pan.
- Prep melee mixture according to directions
- Add ground lamb and sauté until no longer pink.
- Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.
- Mash potatoes
- Place beef and veggie melee, thyme, and rosemary in baking dish and mix.
- cook in oven for 20 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
For the humans…
- Shepherd’s Pie with Buttermilk Mash (happygoodtime.com)