On hot Summer days one of my favorite meals is my tuna salad for dogs. We use either fresh tuna (watch the bones) or canned tuna in oil. It is a total treat that I get in moderation. Our mixture of tuna, peas, apples with whole spelt pasta is blended in a very yummy carrot yogurt dressing.
Can dogs eat tuna?
My vet has recommended that I have tuna every so often, it is especially good for dogs who have skin allergies to improve coat condition and also really healthy for older dogs with joint problems. I would suggest that you check with your vet in regards to your dogs dietary needs.
Prep time:1 5 minutes Cooking time : 10-15 minutes Makes about 2 liters (81/2 cups)
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) Fresh or canned tuna in oil
- 2 cups of whole spelt pasta
- 1 large apple
- 1 cup of peas
- 2-3 carrots
- 180 g (6 oz and a bit) yogurt
- fresh mint or parsley
- For fresh tuna, bake at 180° (350°) for about 10-15 minutes. It should flake easily. Set aside to cool and remove bones. If using canned tuna, keep the oil, do not drain.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Peel, core and slice apples and cook to soften.
- pour hot water from apples onto peas to soften.
- Slice and cook carrots until soften.
- In blender add cooked carrots and yogurt and blend till smooth.
- Mix and fold together the tuna, apples, peas, pasta with carrot yogurt puree.
- Serve with fresh mint or parsley.
For your humans