September is the fall harvest time for sweet potatoes and they are perfect for making treats or adding to homemade dog food. Sweet potatoes are an acceptable diet ingredient for dogs, however if your little chubby tell your owner that sweet potato is full of starch so weight gain is a possibility if too much is fed. Also check the skin of the sweet potatoes and make sure it is clean and free from mold.
This recipe will please your pup and considering it is so easy to make, you will love making batches of sweet potato dog treats for your dog.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Makes: about 40-60 treats Preheat Oven: 180º C (350º F)
- 2 Sweet potato or one large one
- 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 180º C (350º F)
- Scrub, peel and cut sweet potato and place in pot of water. Heat water and cook sweet potato unit soft. (you can also microwave or bake unit soft)
- Mash sweet potato with masher (microwave/baked: Cut sweet potato in half and scoop out the flesh out into large bowl and mash)
- Add apple sauce, and eggs to sweet potato and mix
- * option take egg shells and pulverize and add to the mix (great calcium source)
- Add whole wheat flour and mix to make a dough
- Place dough out on a well-floured surface and roll the dough evenly to about 1 cm (1/2-inch) thick.
- Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter or cut dough into appropriate sized squares or strips for your pooch.
- Arrange cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 35-45 minutes
- Let cool on rack
- Ask your dog to sit, and give them a tasty sweet potato treat!
note: will keep in fridge for about 10 days, can freeze for longer. You can also freeze the dough for later use.
For your owners: