Mmmm…chicken, yams, and liver, oh my! i think everyone loves chicken salad, however the kind people eat is usually not so great for us dogs. It contains things such as fatty mayonnaise, some put grapes in ( a big no-no for dogs), onions, forget it, we dogs just won’t have it, its not healthy for us.
So what’s a dog to do when craving a little chicken salad? Well we make it our way with rabbit livers, fresh yams and chicken breasts, however you can use any type of liver and any part of the chicken, less the skin of course. It’s a real simple recipe and is perfect to mix with a little kibble. You can freeze it and it will keep in the fridge for about 5 days. So grab your ingredients and tell your dog that you’re going to make his chicken salad for dogs recipe.
Remember all our recipes can be doubled, tripled or reduced depending on the size of your dog.
Chicken Salad for Dogs Recipe
- 1.3 kg (3 lbs.) of skinless chicken
- 1-2 yams or sweet potatoes
- 225 g (8 0z.) rabbit liver
- 3 good handfuls of a green leafy vegetable
- Pre-heat the oven to 180° C (350° F)
- Lightly oil a roasting tray and roast the chicken (breasts or tights, 20-30 minutes, Whole chicken about 50 min.) until the juices run clear.
- Pop you Yams in the oven with the chicken for about 30 minutes.
- Let the yams cool, then peel and dice
- Remove all bones from chicken and dice into suitable bit size pieces for your dog.
- Put the liver pieces in a sauce pan with just enough water to cover. Simmer until the livers become firm.
- Add diced up salad to liver mixture to wilt.
- Mix the liver, chicken, yams and wilted salad.
- Once cooled, call your dog over for some chicken salad.
note: if adding a calcium or bone meal supplement to this meal, please consult your veterinarian.