Making a savory carrot cake for dogs is effortless, all you need is one bowl, a mixer and a pan. And the best part it’s going to take you less than ten minutes to put together. It’s also a wonder recipe to have on had to make dog treats like I did here or you can make pup-cakes, or a whole cake for your next doggie birthday bash. The liver base in the recipe will truly make your dog howl!
The mixture will be gooey and thick and will bake up to a wonderful dense biscuit like treat.
- 500 g Liver (pound) (we used rabbit) however you can use beef
- 180 ml (2/3 cup) of shredded Carrot
- 1 whole egg
- 340 ml (1 1/2 cup) flour
- 260 ml (1 cup) cornmeal
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) oregano
- Pre-heat oven to 200º C (350º C)
- Grab your blender or food processor and add liver, carrots and egg, shell and all. (crack open the egg and crumble the shell) Pulse until it’s a smooth gooey mix
- In a large bowl add flour, cornmeal and oregano
- Pour in your gooey mix into the dry mix and stir until blended
- Grab your cake pan and lightly spray or line the pan with baking paper
- Pour the mixture into the pan and make sure it is spread out evenly across the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Take cake out of pan and cool on rack
- Once the cake is cool, it’s up to you how you would like to serve it to your favorite pooch.
Why not try…
- Cutting up the cake into bite size treats.
- Keeping it as a cake or cupcakes and add a little low-fat cream cheese smear as a topping and decorate with peanuts, carrot shavings or apples.
* The treats will last for about 5 days in the fridge and up to six months in the freezer.
For The Humans
Oats Carrot Muffins- Savory and Egg-less