When I was out on my daily stroll through my favorite blogs today I stopped and sniffed out this wonderful tasty recipe. I don’t know about you, but I just love bacon and I think Emily from Life as Alfie has cooked up some wonderful treats that any bacon lover dog would just crave! I’ve actually got my peep in the kitchen right now whipping me up a batch of nutty bacon treats for the weekend as I post!
Nutty Bacon Treats for dogs
Total Time: 40 minutes (approximately)
Prep Time: 20 minutes (approximately)
Cook Time: 12 – 15 minutes
Ingredients and Equipment:
- 3 Slices of bacon, diced
- 1 Egg
- (85 ml)1/3 Cup of creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon of real maple syrup (not the corn syrup maple flavor kind!)
- 3 Tablespoons of water
- (125 ml) 1/2 Cup of soy flour
- (125 ml) 1/2 Cup of whole wheat pastry flour
- (125 ml) 1/2 Cup of wheat germ
- Baking Tray – may need more than one
- Parchment paper
- Frying Pan
- Slotted spoon
- Rolling pin
- Shape cutter/knife
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (Gas mark 2, 150 degrees C)
- Line the baking tray(s) with parchment paper
- Fry the diced bacon until crispy. With a slotted spoon, remove the crispy bacon but save the fat.
- Allow the fat to cool slightly (2 – 5 minutes)
- Add the egg, peanut butter, maple syrup and water to the bacon fat and mix thoroughly
- Add in the flours and wheat germ and mix until combined
- Stir in the bacon pieces
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4″ thick
- Cut into desired shape with the shape cutter or a knife
- Bake in the oven for 12 – 15 minutes or until lightly browned
- Leave to cool and serve!
For the Humans!