I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t like fruit. Fruits do not only taste good but provide numerous benefits for our health as well. For example, blueberries, also known as antioxidant super fruits, have been proven by clinical studies to slow down vision loss, prevent and heal neurotic disorders, help lower cholesterol, and even heal cancer. There is absolutely no doubt that fruits are amazing for us humans, however in this article we are more concerned about dogs. Can dogs benefit from eating fruit just like us humans or are fruits dangerous for dogs to eat?
There Are Some Fruits Dogs Cannot Eat
While dogs can benefit from eating apples and most other fruits, some fruits are downright dangerous for dogs to eat.
The following are the fruits that are dangerous for dogs to eat:
- Avocados – You should never let your dog have avocados because they contain a toxic substance called persin. Don’t worry though, avocados are still safe for us humans.
- Citrus Fruits – Citrus fruits contain citric acid, which is bad for dogs. It’s best not to give your dog any citrus fruits.
- Grapes – Grapes may just be the most dangerous fruits for dogs. Both grapes and raisins are associated with the development of kidney failure in dogs. Learn more about Can Dogs Eat Grapefruit.
The Seeds and Peels of Most Fruits Are Not Good for Dogs
While the fruit itself might be good for your dog, the seeds aren’t. The seeds of most fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous not only for dogs and other animals but us as well.
It’s also important not to let your dog eat the peels of most fruits since they are likely to contain some pesticide residue, which can be toxic as well.
Always Moderate the Quantity
Although most fruits are healthy for dogs, they shouldn’t be allowed to eat an excessive amount in one sitting. Eating too much fruit can lead to diarrhea and make the body expel too many vitamins and minerals as well as result in the loss of water, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and even malnutrition and dehydration. Also, since a lot of fruits are rich in fiber, eating too much fruit can cause stomach cramping. That’s why I only advise to feed fruits to your dog as an occasional treat.
What Fruits Are Best for Dogs to Eat
Most of the fruits that are good for us are good for dogs as well, except for the fruits listed above as being dangerous for dogs. However, to give a few suggestions, here’s short list of fruits that your dog could especially benefit from:
- Carrots – Carrots are known to promote good visual health.
- Apples – An apple a day keeps the vet away. Apples contain a variety of essential nutrients and vitamins such as vitamin C, vitamin A, pectin and fiber.
- Pears – Pears can strengthen your pooch’s intestinal tract as well as the heart.
- Bananas – Bananas are rich in vitamin B6, soluble fiber, and other valuable nutrients. Banana slices would definitely work as a great treat for your dog.
- Blueberries – These little nutrient powerhouses can be very beneficial for your dog’s health as they contain high levels of antioxidants.
In conclusion, most fruits are not only safe for dogs to eat, but beneficial as well. However, keep in mind that dogs cannot eat the seeds and peels of most fruits, and be sure to moderate the quantity of the fruits you give to your dog. Also, do not forget that some fruits are dangerous for dogs to eat.
Chris Summers:As a long-time dog owner of two adorable Labrador Retrievers, Chris finds it essential for every dog owner to know what things are safe for dogs to eat and what are dangerous.