Awww… Summertime what a fantastic time of the year. There’s BBQ’s happening in the garden, beautiful walks on the beach and a bounty of fresh garden produce everywhere.
Funny enough it also reminds me of Italy. It seems my peep was always scheduling a little trip to Italy during the summer, and considering Italy is a dog friendly place to be I was able to sample many of Italy’s historical culture, cities, countryside and their tasty food.
Besides my ultimate favourite steak Florentine, I would have to say I love their risotto and pasta dishes too, especially when mixed with chicken or beef.
Chicken: About 1 kg of boneless chicken thighs and/or breast
Rice: Brown rice 300g
Spinach: About 400g/14oz
Basil: about 1 tbsp chopped fresh
Parmesan Cheese: 50g (for less calories omit or substitute with yogurt)
Directions1. Preheat oven to 180° C or (375° F), grab a large bake pan and add a glug of oil. Bake chicken for 35 minutes or until juices run clear.
2. Prepare brown rice according to package.
3. Wash spinach add basil and chop in food processor. Adding a little of the chicken juice helps blend the greens together. Hold off on the peas, we’ll add that later.
4. Add chopped spinach, basil and peas to rice. Mix together
5. Once chicken is cooked cut into bite size pieces. You can also cut chicken into bite size pieces before cooking if you like.
6. Mix chicken, rice, Parmesan cheese to rice. I also add the chicken juice from the pan as well.
Recipe can be either doubled or cut in 1/2 depending on the size of your dog. Will last three days in fridge but can also be frozen into single serving sizes.