Dogs have been faithful companions of people for many thousands of years. They are animals full of love, friendships, and enthusiasts about the environment, which is why most dog owners consider their pets to be real family members. After all, for a reason, the dog is called man’s best friend!
But before you enjoy dog ownership, there are a few essential things to consider.
Taking an animal home is a decision that all family members should make together. If you really want to live with calmness and peace together, then you and everyone must understand the responsibilities that come with pets. And then welcome your new family member to your home.
Dogs can live a dozen or so years, and even longer, so the decision to take a puppy under your roof should not be made on the spur of the moment. It’s a long-term relationship that you need to think and discussed carefully. Remember: even if your children are begging for a pet, you will most likely be responsible for looking after them.
The following factors should also be considered before taking your dog home:
- Your home: Dogs need space to run, play, and discover new surroundings. When choosing between a small, medium, and large dogs, space restrictions should be taken into account, both inside and outside the apartment. Remember: a small size pet’s not always mean low energy!
- Your time: Dogs need at least a few walks a day to stretch their bones and meet their physiological needs. Time spent together is also essential for their education, mental stimulation, and building relationships with them – the more time you spend together, the stronger it will be.
- Your budget: Every dog requires veterinary care and has basic needs, such as nutrition, vaccinations, preventive measures against parasites, toys, care, etc. You need to understand that you also need to include your pet expenses in your family budget. So that your pet stays healthy and happy.
- Fitness: You’ll find various dogs breed with unique features around you. You also need to consider other factors such as age, gender, and personality. Read about different breeds of dogs and try to choose the one that will best suit your family and household.
When you discuss these issues with your loved ones, and everyone is in favor of accepting a new family member, the question arises – where to start? Where you can adopt a dog?
PURCHASE OF A DOG FROM A REPUTABLE BREEDER
If you really want to get into breed dogs, then you should go for professional breeders; they guarantee the origin of their dogs. Most of them only deal in some specific breeds such as Australian Shepherd, Yorkshire Terrier, Labrador Retriever, Dachshund, Maltese or German Shepherd.
In general, dogs from reputable breeders are tested for genetic problems, and you can be sure that you are dealing with a professional whose activity is based on caring for long-term dog health. Trusted breeders will be happy to discuss the responsibilities of owning a dog and help you decide if a particular breed is right for your family and household.
ADOPTION FROM AN ANIMAL WELFARE ASSOCIATION
Adopting a dog from the animal help association is a very noble act.
Usually, there is a large selection of dogs in terms of breed, age, and personality, and employees of these institutions know their animals and will be able to advise you which one will be best for your family.
Dogs from such places are usually vaccinated, sterilized, and tested by a veterinarian.
ADOPTION OF A DOG FROM A PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL
Maybe some of your loved ones have puppies? Or perhaps a dog strays to friends? This can be a great opportunity to meet a new family member.
No matter where you get your dog from, remember that the presence of an animal at home is all about companionship and love. If you come across a puppy or dog that suits you and you fall in love with it right away, it’s probably the perfect choice!
WHAT DOCUMENTS SHOULD I ASK FOR?
If you are adopting a dog then keep this in your mind that you need to get all the relevant documents like vaccination record, birth and family history, etc. of the dog. It is necessary that you get all relevant documents about the dog from the previous owner. It helps in different situations like insurance, medical treatment, etc. These are, for example:
- An invoice or document confirming the change of ownership, which may be needed to register the animal,
- Veterinary certificate or animal passport,
- Birth record or pedigree in the case of pedigree animals from registered farms,
- Necessary information about the dog and its specific needs and preferences.
- Ask for several portions of food that your pet has already eaten. This will allow for healthier and more comfortable acclimatization in a new home and will allow a gradual change in diet if you consider it justified.
HOW TO BE A RESPONSIBLE DOG CARER
Once you choose a dog and bring it home, you can apply some simple strategies that will help him during this change and ensure a long and happy life at your side.
On our website, you will also find lots of detailed information on other aspects of dog care, for example, articles about the benefits of a dog and how much movement your dog needs. Understand that the more you care and look after your dog, the better your bond flourishes, and more joy you and your family will experience.
MAN’S BEST FRIEND
Welcoming a dog in your life holds the power to turn everything beautiful. Dogs love people and have proved to be their loyal companion for around thousand of years.
No matter what kind you have had, the way they greet you when you arrive home, makes your stress go away. Researches have proved that the presence of a dog in the life of human beings has resulted in reduced stress, emotional and cognitive development, and enhanced well-being.
Once you decide that it is the right time to experience the joy of the dog’s presence, the next decision will be to choose the place from which you will take him under your roof.
Grab as much knowledge as you can from different sources around you. It will help you to understand which dog will be comfortable and matches with your family. If you do this, you and your pet will surely enjoy each other company throughout life. And no doubt, a dog is a man’s best friend!
WagTheDogUK is literally the BEST dog-related community anywhere, I read it every day, and I’m also so grateful I found https://innovationdog.com/tug-o-war-toy, it helped me not only keep my dog busy when I’m not at home but make him be able to exercise indoor, hope it helps some others!